If you thought beard maintenance was tricky, wait till you start sifting through the vast amount of product categories to choose from. It can be really overwhelming for a bearded man to try and get it right the first time. However, when it comes to shaping or styling your beard, you can safely tiptoe between beard balm and beard butter.
But the real question is, which one should you choose?
We’ll get to answering your question in just about a minute. However, let’s start by shedding some light on what each product constitutes of:
What Is Beard Butter?
Beard butter is exactly what it sounds like. These products are formulated with all-natural butters and oils, including shea butter which adds numerous benefits to facial skin. When applied, these ingredients provide deep conditioning to not only your chin whiskers but also the skin underneath them.
“What about its hold?”, you ask. Generally, beard butters produce little to no hold. It helps fellow bearded folks tame flyaway strands of hair. Also, the addition of Shea butter to the mix makes sure that your beard appears a lot healthier in appearance than otherwise.
Beard Butter from Grzzly Beard Co.
However, the majority of beard butter products lack beeswax (or contain very small amounts of the nutrient), which is why they are a lot easier to spread compared to beard balms and have a butter-like consistency. This very feature of beard butters allows full coverage of facial hair, hair follicles, and skin.
Keeping all of the above in mind, beard butter is a great option for you if you have dry skin, have dandruff, or if your beard gets a little itchy.
What’s Good About Beard Butter
- All-natural ingredients
- Combines the benefits and effectiveness of beard balms and beard oil, therefore, making it a holistic beard maintenance product.
- Beard butter will moisturize your beard and keep it well conditioned so that maintaining your beard is painless.
- The consistency of beard butter makes it easier to apply and allows a more natural feel to an already scratch beard.
- Depending on its ingredients, beard butters may also enhance the growth of your facial hair while making sure your beard remains in tip-top shape.
- You need to make sure that the beard butter you’re using is of high quality because otherwise, you might just have unsightly un-melted globs in your beard.
- If you’re looking for a strong hold, beard butter is not the way to go.
What Is Beard Balm
In contrast, the best beard balm products, when applied, produce a protective layer that locks in enough moisture to keep your beard and skin hydrated. Like beard butter, beard balms are also formulated with 100% natural ingredients, which complement each other to protect the beard you worked so hard to grow from external elements.
With that said, let's talk about ingredients. A decent beard balm will consist of Shea butter, beeswax, essential oils and some carrier oils. All of these ingredients are meant to keep your beard healthy and conditioned while also doubling its benefits by working as a styling agent.
Beard Balm from Grzzly Beard Co.
The beeswax is the fundamental difference between beard balm and beard butter products. This additional ingredient is what helps beard balms lock in all the moisture while also granting you some extra hold. As a result, your bread will look well-groomed and a lot tamer than it does otherwise.
What’s Good About Beard Balm
- All-natural ingredients
- The best beard balm products will make sure your beard look healthy by countering split ends, dead ends, and dandruff (aka. beardruff).
- The addition of beeswax lets you style your beard and with a modest amount of product, your previously unruly facial hair will allow a beard comb to glide through easily.
- The benefits of beeswax also allows your beard to grow at a faster rate
- Daily application will condition and smoother an otherwise grizzly beard and make it very easy to maintain.
- Beard balms are suitable styling beards of all shapes and size, however it is more suitable for shorter beards because the beeswax allows styling to be more manageable.
- You should use moderate amounts of the product because too much of it may not get absorbed by the beard and will produce unsightly flakes.
Beard Balm vs Beard Butter: The Verdict
Now, it is finally time to answer the question that brought you heard - “Which is better?” As it turns out, both beard balm and beard butter are great products and which one you like better will depend on the kind of results you’re looking for.
For instance, if you would like to tame all those flyaway hairs and leave your beard looking a lot more presentable than its untidy appearance, you would do well with some beard balm. However, if you would like to soften those thick strands, condition them for healthy growth, and keep a light hold while styling your beard, you should stick with beard butter.
With all things considered, we would highly recommend that you add both beard balms and beard butter to your beard maintenance routine for their unique benefits. Beard butter makes for a great night time routine since it would deeply hydrate your skin and facial hair.
In comparison, beard balms can be used in the daytime or whenever you’re planning on looking a little more presentable than your usual self since it allows you to style your beard with a nice hold.
We really hope our comparison of beard balms and beard butters really straighten things out for you and you’re finally ready to make a decision. At Grizzly Beard Co, we offer some of the best beard butters and balms in the UK using 100% organic shea butter and beeswax respectively. We handcraft each of our products individually after orders are placed making sure you get what we promise, and that is the best beard butter and balms in the UK!
All our grooming products help minimize beard itch, get absorbed quickly into skin/facial hair and whats more, we offer them in sixteen unique scent profiles making sure our products suit every beard loving man!